Communication is key to making any project go smoothly. We start our relationship off on the right foot by making sure you know exactly what to expect from us. Please click on the icons below to learn more about our process.
Get in touchFill out the contact form or call and tell us how we can help you. We’ll set up a time to tour your home or property, discuss your vision and goals for your project, explain our process, and answer any questions you may have for us.
PlansOne of your chief concerns is how much your project is going to cost. In order to give you an accurate cost study (more commonly known as an estimate), it’s important to have an accurate set of plans. If you already have scaled plans, we can quickly move on to Step 3. If you don’t, see below:
- Work with our architect, who will help you develop plans as part of our design build process
- We can recommend one of the many local architects we’ve worked with over the years
Cost studyYou may have heard this called an estimate, but we call it a cost study because it is exactly that- we create a document based on past, similar work we have done. We thoroughly examine your plans, then assign cost estimates to every line item of your building project. The resulting document is an informed outcome about how much your remodel or new home may cost. Our clients comment that the cost studies they receive from Birdsmouth Construction are the most detailed they’ve ever seen. This makes you better positioned to make a decision about who you want to partner with on your project.
DevelopmentDevelopment is where your project begins in earnest. Here’s what you can expect:
- Letter of intent: If you agree with our cost study, we ask you to sign a letter of intent and pay a retainer. The retainer secures your spot in the queue and allows us to assign a project manager to develop your project. This is one of the most important investments you’ll make because it gives you accurate information about how much your project will cost.
- Development: During this phase we help you choose fixtures and materials. We introduce you to experts who can help you select the best flooring, HVAC systems and other components for your home. We work with your architect to clear up any lingering questions and make sure the project is completely ready to go.
- Value engineering: We want you to get the most value for your money during your construction project. Therefore, your project manager will work closely with you to recommend changes to plans and materials that help you stay within your budget while still meeting your goals.
- Bid: We work with a fixed price contract. That’s why we put so much time into developing an accurate bid. When we present you with your bid, you can count on us to stick to it. The only exceptions come when you request significant changes to the scope of work or we discover areas of your home with significant problems (dry rot, asbestos, etc.) that must be addressed.
- The final step during this stage is signing a fixed price contract based on your bid.
ConstructionYour Birdsmouth Construction project manager will stay in close communication with you at every step during the construction process. He or she will answer questions, address concerns and let you know what to expect. We act as your advocates, ensuring suppliers deliver the right materials and subcontractors show up on time. In short, we do everything we can to keep the construction process on time, on budget and flowing smoothly.
Post-Occupancy SupportWe're still here for you long after you've moved into your new or beautifully restored home. All buildings go through a process of settling that can cause small imperfections. We will follow up with you one year after your home is finished to correct those problems. There is no additional charge for this service.